How does HexLabs review HackGT applicants?
- Each application is reviewed anonymously by members of the HexLabs team with just the short answer questions displayed and no identifying information.
Is HackGT a lottery?
- No, see above. None of it is a lottery process.
Do you use affirmative action?
- Nope! We have not yet published our admission policy for this upcoming year, but if you are interested in reviewing HackGT 6's policy, you can find it here: https://medium.com/thehackgt/hackgt-6-admissions-6d66f7d1c22c
- Note - For the most part, the HackGT 6 policy is similar to the HackGT 8 policy. The article talks about there being two pools: the travel reimbursement and the nontravel reimbursement pool. However, this is not applicable for HackGT 8. Registration and the website FAQ details the different applicant groups for this year.
How many people can come to the event?
- This year, since we are a hybrid event, we will be limiting in-person participants to GT students due to capacity restrictions. However, people accepted into HackGT 8, but not for in-person hacking, will be invited to hack virtually. Because of our virtual component, we are well-equipped to host a larger pool of hackers but will still be capping attendance due to resource constraints, such as shipping event swag.
What priority do you give to Georgia Tech students?
- This year we will have one large application pool for all applicants. As mentioned above, all applications are read anonymously, so no preference is given to the school you apply from. Still, the majority of our applicants and accepted hackers are Georgia Tech students.
How much money do you get from GT Tuition, SGA, or the school in any form?
- None! We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and we raise all of our own money from sponsorship (aka the really cool companies who come to the event)!
Can I get personalized feedback?
- No, since we do have so many applications to go through, we don’t have the capacity to give feedback to each individual. Additionally, we don’t write feedback on the applications, so we are not able to go back and bring up any specific comments on why one person wasn’t accepted.
Can a HexLabs member get me into HackGT?
- No, sorry! All applications are reviewed anonymously by team members, so no one person on our team has access to your individual application. Just make sure you do your best on the application!
What's the difference between participant-emerging and participant-general?
- Emerging is designed to help individuals who haven’t been to a hackathon before or want a little extra help and guidance with their project! It includes a mentorship matching program along with programming to help guide hackers to successfully completing a hackathon! General is for those who feel comfortable seeing a project through to completion or have attended a hackathon before, and know the ropes. You can find a more in-depth definition of the two on our website 2021.hack.gt under "Tracks".